Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Do you remember?

  It's funny how the mind works, isn't it?  How the Demons we bury deep inside, surface when we least expect, or right on clue.  Ask me what I ate for lunch yesterday, and I will tell you my sister, my mother, and I ate at Burger King in Brandon.  Ask me what I might had for breakfast, lunch, or dinner a month ago; and I can't place a single meal on any one of the days during the month of August.

  Now ask me where I was September 11, 2001 ~ and the mind will bring it all forward as if sitting in a movie theater; and I can tell you plenty.   11 Years ago today, and the demons are as fresh as there were that day.

  I was living in the same apartment as I was 2 years ago.  Crestridge Apartments in Hillsboro Texas.  My apartment was one building back from I.H. 35, where from my front balcony I could see the traffic driving both North and South bound.  Good Morning America was on the T.V. and I was getting ready to go into work.  It was grocery ordering day at Exxon Tiger Mart, and I had just put my red vest on and was watching the news while sipping my coffee.  I didn't have to be at work and any specific time, so I was in no rush at all.  Michael Ramey, the man I was dating at the time, had just finishing dressing; he had an interview with the local Walmart.  I just set his coffee cup down on the bathroom counter and walked in the living room when I heard Dianne Sawyer say there was an explosion at one of the Twin Towers.  The news station was waiting on conformation, when right there live on the air; the second plane flew in the Second Twin Tower.


  I dialed my mother.  Both my uncle and aunt, long with other family members live in New York.  Where were they?  Had anyone Talked to Uncle Billy?  Have we heard from the rest of the family?

  Even sitting here typing and reliving these feelings, there is a lump that wont go down.  A sinking sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.  You know the one that tells you something is very wrong; but you can't quite put your finger on it?  It started yesterday Sept 10, 2012 and hasn't left yet.

  I drove to the Exxon and Military traffic began to pour through I.H. 35.  Military Choppers landed at the small Hillsboro airport.  Soldiers collected cups of coffee at our Exxon brew station as the travels of customers stop and clap the soldiers who are either answering a call or reporting to station as they wait for their next step.  We all stood in silence watching the report of the Pentagon being struck by a plane as well.  Customers were shocked.  People wanted to watch the news and rush home to their families at the same time.   Cell phones were ringing for some, while others couldn't get through to their family members.  I tried my cell phone, and was able to talk to my mother again.  My Uncle and Aunt were safe.  People were sharing their cell phones in hopes to calm the worry of those who did not have cell phones.  The knot in my stomach tightened, and I remember running to the bathroom and being sick.


  What was once apart of me and every New Yorker; was now on fire.  The buildings I thought could never be harmed, never waver, never be touched.  The buildings that were the heart of New York was falling to pieces; and lives were being taken down with it.  I will never forget the falling people, is haunts me.  Seeing them trapped and waving for help.   The dust that made all humans alike.  The look on the faces of New York Heroes.


  I hear screaming.  A screaming that is so close, so loud.  A customer touches me.  Jeremy is talking to me, but I can't here him.  Who is screaming like that? "OH MY GOD.  Help them!! Please Help Them!!!"


Than I realized.  It was me.  I was screaming.


  I wanted to just jump through the television and bring them all back with me.  Save them all.  Help where I could and take away the pain and the weight of the world off of each and every one of them.  My feet were planted; I couldn't take my eyes of of the television.  Couldn't peel myself away from the events as they were unfolding.  What was going on?  What was happening? 

  No one would have ever thought there would be an attack on American soil.  Why would anyone want to attack America?  These poor innocent people in the Twin Towers.   But had we all forgotten?

  February 26, 1993 ~ ring a bell?  On this date, 19 years ago, The World Trade Centers were under attack. 

The World Trade Center bombing occurred on February 26, 1993, when a truck bomb was detonated below the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York, NY. The 1,336 lb (606 kg) urea nitratehydrogen gas enhanced device[1] was intended to knock the North Tower (Tower One) into the South Tower (Tower Two), bringing both towers down and killing thousands of people.[2][3] It failed to do so, but did kill six people and injured more than a thousand.[4] The attack was planned by a group of conspirators including Ramzi Yousef, Mahmud Abouhalima, Mohammad Salameh, Nidal A. Ayyad, Abdul Rahman Yasin and Ahmad Ajaj. They received financing from Khaled Sheikh Mohammed, Yousef's uncle. In March 1994, four men were convicted of carrying out the bombing: Abouhalima, Ajaj, Ayyad and Salameh. The charges included conspiracy, explosive destruction of property and interstate transportation of explosives. In November 1997, two more were convicted: Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind behind the bombings, and Eyad Ismoil, who drove the truck carrying the bomb.
 
  6 Lives taken that day, thousands injured.  Not as big as the attacks in 2001 but, who can forget?  When the attack on 9 11 2001 happened, I remember saying to Michael "Again?" as tears ran down my face. 

  From what was started on February 26, 1993 {8 years 6 months and 15 days later} Al-Qaeda finished, on that horrifying September 11, 2001 day.  Destruction, panic, worry, and death of innocent people.



1993 World Trade Center Bombing

1993 Firefighter rescue in the World Trade Center Attack
2001 Firefighter rescue in the World Trade Center Attack
 September 11, 2001 Times Magazine
 February 26, 1993 Times Magazine


Note left from a Port Authority worker to his family in the 1993 Attacks ~ He lived.
A note felt from a worker on the 84t floor in the 2001 attacks. ~ This man, did not make it.
  Through both tragic events, we picked ourselves back up.  People from all over prayed and offered assistance.   We all United.  Race.  Color.  Religion.  Sex.  Was of no issue.  Giving of ourselves and where help was needed, was the only thing we each saw. 

  The memory of the attacks on February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001 will live inside each and every person for a very long time.  We didn't forget, simply learn to live with the pain and fear of those days.  Burying the demons of those days deep inside of us, while moving forward in the memory of our loved ones, our friends, our coworker.  Honoring them.  Taking them along with us in everything we do. 

The days begin, the night ends, and tomorrow bring on another step forward. 

The one thing we need never forget is...

Together We Are Strong. 


No comments:

Post a Comment