Sunday, June 12, 2011

Powerful Stuff ...

" Setting yourself up for 
joy is an investment,
not an indulgence. "
~ Thomas Kinkade


Sunday's are one of my favorite days of the week.  Depending on how you look at it, Sunday can be the beginning or the end of anyone's week.  On any given moment, Sunday is the first day of the rest of my week.  This week however, Tuesday is the day top of my list, the view is better then any other.  The sun seemed to shine brighter, the air crisper and thinner, the day longer, and perfect became an understatement.  

My phone rang early Tuesday morning, I couldn't begin to think straight,or even remember what time my head hit the pillow.  The feeling of joy and happiness lingered throughout the apartment as I grabbed for my phone and started toward the bedroom door.  "Hello" I whispered as my sisters voice spoke from the other end. Exiting the room, I turned to glance over my shoulder; and my eyes took in the smallest of details.  A smile streamed across my face, I liked seeing what was in plain site.  The items that filled the space, that filled my heart.  I reached for my camera, and let the lens speak for me; let the words flow through pictures.


A second pair of sneakers sat by the computer desk, as if they has always been there; some how just simply over looked.  I turned to the restroom and leaned against the door frame, with a deep breath and a silent sigh I knew seeing that extra toothbrush on the counter top made the restroom complete.  I can hear my sister talk, yet have no clue as to what she was saying.  I can't seem to remember the words.  I looked back through the bedroom door, focusing on the filled suite case that sat in front of the window, and how it made my dreams a reality.  The waiting less, and the emptiness drift away.



No matter where my head turned, I was taken back to Monday night;  a long airport drive and to the beginning of the end.  I stepped into the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee, all the while my sister spoke on the other end.  Work, injury, and other stuff was the topic of conversation; but for the life of me I couldn't take my eyes off the objects that filled the spaces in my apartment and the empty ones in my heart. 


I walked out onto the balcony, the sun shining bright and the sky so blue;  I would remember this day till my very last breath. 


What it did to me all day long, to have him so close to me.  To reach out and touch him.  Watch his every move.  That smile that warmed my heart over 29 years ago, and not only warms it now but gives it the most wonderful fluttering sound. The afternoon was spent just as we wanted, together.  I couldn't have asked for a better morning, afternoon, evening, and day; never has there been time spent like this.  Never.  What it did to my soul to see the dining room table set for two; can not be expressed with words .. not spoken or written .. dreamed or thought of.  The feeling lives deep inside of me, gently holding on, keeping me breathing.  

Coffee had never tasted so refreshing as that of the cups we shared together over the course of 6 days.  Mornings never had the meaning as it did during our time together, and night never fell so tenderly.  The visions of sunrise lived within me each morning, glowing out from within; spending every second with Paul ... and as the sun set on our day, so to the sun set inside of me; not bringing an end but rather the knowing of another day, a sunrise that will come.  Looking into the distance of green trees and open land were shared between us, casting beauty in every direction.


A single dove appears at the very sound of my voice, and lingers on the power lines, visiting with us as we take in each morning ...  Adding glory and wonder to our first day together.   Every day throughout Paul's stay; the Dove greets us ....    


Sharing in our view  .. the feelings between us .. and taking in the dream I have ever longed to come true ....

No comments:

Post a Comment