Saturday, October 1, 2011

New friends; and newer friends...

Is there such a thing as "newer", I mean; is it a legal word?  Guess I will have to look into that one.. my sweety will let me know.  I can count on him for everything and anything.  Love, such a beautiful thing. 

As you know, I have been talking, babying, and loving my visits with the Red Shoulder Hawk that comes and visits me here.  He sits on the post out in my mothers front yard, that my sweety and I have turned into a bird feeder and squirrel feeder area, he brings his catch of the day and plops a squat on the top of the post while enjoying his meal.  Makes no mind to me, I love watching him.  His full chest, the feather filled legs he has, the yellow at the brim of his nose, the long claws he has.  Everything he does, I am in mouth dropping awe over him. The other day, I photographed him with his catch of the day, then he flew into the tree at my neighbors, let out a screech and out flew another darker Red Shoulder Hawk.  Now, listen to my brother Fred, and he'll tell you the darker one is Female because ~  "the males have to be really pretty in order to attract a female". 

Fred is a fun loving man.  Just look at that face...

Maybe so, or maybe he just wants to know males have to be better looking in order to get a really great female.   

He really has it in for this birthday cake...

OK, back to the subject... We can all see that my brother Fred is a nut.. and I love him to death...  When I saw the other Red Shoulder Hawk, I fell in love with her.  Now, I can get closer to the male Hawk, talk to the male Hawk longer, and get really good photos of him with no problem.  Until she got to know me, and come around with the male, she wouldn't let me get to close.  She didn't like having her photo taken, and she covered her food with her wings when she knew I was watching her.  Now though, it seems we are best of friends.

Just take a look at these..


The mate was calling as he was eating ...

 Every bit of  movement is noticed; even the slightest sound has him at attention ...

 A gorgeous Hawk.  I could watch him all day long ...


 When he finished eating his kill for the morning {cause he visits the post often throughout the day} he flew to the trees in Normans yard...



As he was landing, she flew out to greet him.  Before I took this photo, he sat on the same branch as her, and although you can not see it in this photo; she is holding some of his kill in her claw.  Can you see both of them.. the next two photos; A} is cropped on her and B} is cropped on him.   

 She is darker breasted and the brim of her nose isn't as bright as his. 

 See him? On the left side of the tree trunk.  He has more gray then she does, and the brim of his nose is brighter yellow then hers.


 She has never been down to the pole.  That is until he called for her and left the kill on the pole.  He flew into the tree in the front yard, and she ate until it was all but a tasty memory.

Her claws alone are a force in their own

 not a second went by, without her inspecting the area ...





 I was so happy when she stood fully and let me take this photo ..

 But when she turned and looked right at me.. I died and went to heaven.


 My newest Friend; meet ~  Mrs Red Shoulder Hawk




No comments:

Post a Comment