Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Let the Cooking Begin: Part Four




I'm not climbing the hill any more.. I own the hill.  This cooking stuff has taken completely over.  Let me tell you, I'm getting quite good at it, and for me to admit that... I must be doing something right.  I even received the thumbs up from my brother Mark, and he is a "Fried meat and Rice with Beans" {stated in his words} kind of man. 

This is my brother ~ Mark

You know, almost like the saying "Meat and Potatoes", only different.    He is Spanish through and through {without ever speaking a word of it] eating type of person.  So with this meal, why not give it a Spanish twist ~ and that is just what I did.

 
Ree's Pulled Pork recipe; meet Black Beans and Rice.  The trio blasted with yummy seasonings and delighted tummy's.  The 8 pound pulled pork barely made it through the night.  Three starving men {because the cooking started it at 7am Saturday morning} waited all day long for three small simple words... "OK, It's Ready".   I find it so much easier to start making a big meal early on Saturday, due to Football and Baseball games, then everyone isn't trying to drum up a lunch meal, at the same time,  on their own.  It has become a weekend tradition in our house.  Besides, I have a Nac for making a meal and cleaning up as I go.  So my mixing bowls are cleaned as soon as they are emptied, the pots are cleaned as soon as their use is finished, and my counter tops remain spotless.   Plus, has anyone else noticed, that men can not seem to just add their plate/glass/silverware to an empty dishwasher?  Maybe the instructions for operation are in a foreign language, to just men.



Making the black beans was next on the list of things to do.  In a small crock pot {or one sized to your family} add the beans of your choice, and begin to cook as you normal would.  In a small frying pan, add Goya Olive Oil ~ just enough to saute the following ingredients on medium heat ...

1/2 cup chopped Red Peppers
1/2 cup chopped Yellow Peppers
1/2 cup chopped Yellow Onions
1/2 of one Goya Chorizos {sliced}
2 Tablespoons of Goya Sofrito.



Mmm.  Try not to let anyone pick the sliced Chorizos out of the frying pan.. they are heavenly.  When the Onions are slightly browned, add the mixture to the beans and cover the crock pot.  Let the beans and mixture cook until the beans are soft.  Yummy is all I can say.  

The rice is easy to make.  I make 2 cups, and not your normal cups.  I take a coffee cup and fill it with white rice, twice.  Pour the rice in a medium sauce pan, add the same amount of water {2 coffee cups}, and Goya Olive Oil {just a splash so the rice doesn't stick}.  Cover and let the rice boil.  Once the rice comes to a boil, stir and turn to the lowest temp, and let it simmer for 30 minute; stirring occasionally. 


When the Pull Pork is done, the beans are cooked, and the rice is hot.. Serve to your hungry family.  With my family, I learned that 8 pounds will never be enough, next Pulled Pork I pick up.. is going to be a 20 pound pork.  And it will be served at Thanksgiving {even if my brothers want Turkey} and Christmas.   

Now, don't forget the snack after your meal.  There has to be a mouth watering dessert... I made Banana Nut Bread.. I know, not much of a dessert, but it went over very well that morning {while the pork smell filled the house}, the afternoon as a "taste of this" finger food, a bed time snack, and a Sunday morning coffee side. 



Moist.  Soft.  Nutty.  Yummy.   Banana Nut Bread.. Think I am going to need to make another batch of this friendly tasty coffee side. 



No comments:

Post a Comment