Sunday, July 31, 2011

The race against time...

There is nothing worse then being rushed, right?  It never fails, seems something is always forgotten, misplaced, or lost when time is of the essences.  I personally can not function correctly when I am rushed, we're talking about major shut down; and it doesn't have to be some one walking behind me and whispering words of  wasted time, or reminding me of groups of people waiting.  Nope, for me it could be the pure sound of the second hand on the living room wall clock that reminds me to hurry. 


It was the race against time that made me forget.  Knowing in the back of my mind, the hours were flying by at warp speed...  Strange how time always does that.  Wait until it knows you can not afford to hurry; then it speeds up.. at the most inopportune moments. 

My sweety and I intended to have everything ready for our 1300 mile trip as we travel from Texas to Florida, our first trip/move together.  In the previous post, you heard about our packing abilities, saying good bye to my children and grand children, the collision of my shin and trailer hitch.  What I hadn't told you, was the wonderful job I did remembering to pack the items for our hotel stay.  Just a fabulous job. 


The amount of rain we drove through, was, well lets just say it was so much that I can not even put it into words.  I felt like rain was the only weather we had the whole trip.  Needless to say, we did not make it out of Texas the first night.  After being up all night long making sure everything was loaded, and when we did sleep it was only for 4 hours.  Our first hotel/motel night was at La Quinta Inn, equipped with a king size bed, microwave, very large double door restroom, full cable channels, internet connection, lots of young energized girls who were in a competition of some kind, and was right next door to Cracker Barrel {yummy}; oh yeah.. this was the perfect location to stop for the night.  After we pay for our room,  we decide to eat dinner before calling it a night,  as we walk over to Cracker Barrel it hits me.  In all the rush to get everything packed, I didn't leave out a single change of clothes for myself.  Not one outfit.  Packing the hair brush was no problem,  except that I didn't pack it in my bag.  The blow dryer, flat iron, shampoo and every other important item a women needs after a shower, was neatly backed away...

in a box. 

Marked Bathroom. 

In "moms attic", on the back of the Uhaul.    

Well, wouldn't that just be my luck.  It wasn't bad enough that we were driving in torrential down pours.  Where the wipers, couldn't wipe fast enough for me to see the road. And my sweety drove at the speed of sound.  And I couldn't see the road.  And the wipers weren't fast enough.  And I had to close my eyes.  And take deep breaths.  Where all I could say and think was "just pull over and let me drive", cause I was starting to feel a little out of control and was unable to relax at this point.  OK, so maybe the speed of sound is stretching it a little; but it sure felt that fast and faster.   As fate would have it.. I did not pack one single thing in an over night bag, that benefited me in a single way.


Once we were up in the room, my sweety showered first, and then went down to the Uhaul and retrieved everything I needed for my shower.  He is such a wonderful gentleman.  Isn't he?  Not only did he bring back my personal shower items, but he also brought back the bedroom fan.  Oh, the sound that rocks a tired mind to sleep.  The next morning we started very early.  I was in the drivers seat this time, and cruising down the road, but not before we had a wonderful breakfast feast at Cracker Barrel.  I could eat there every day. 

We were crossing over onto the Hammond Swamp when I drove into another down pour.  My sweety grabbed the camera and snapped a few pictures.   During this time, while I was driving, there was perfect control.  That's the thing about OCD; there has to be control, when you factor in a 46 year old single mother {who controlled a household} and tack OCD onto it, you have big problems.  The whole time the wheel was in my hand, it was smooth sailing.  Paul lied back the passager seat, got comfortable, and before I knew it he was out like a light.  With the radio playing, the truck at a comfortable speed, and the rain coming down.. my world was perfect. 


Once we crossed into Florida, the sky and roads were beautiful.  The grass always looks so green and the sky a crisp blue.  The rain brought on the prettiest rainbow, dark clouds, and the trees looks like there were painted onto the back drop.  I had been so worried about the humidity, I forgot just how beautiful Florida really is.


Even through rain covered windows, I found myself gasping at the glorious view.  And the rainbow was a site for sore eyes, as it so happened, my sweety woke up to soak in the view with me.  Good thing he took control of the camera, or I just might be blogging about an Uhaul Accident, or something to that effect. 




Lets face it, he sure is good at capturing the beauty in these shots, don't you think?  Good job Sweety, hats off to you.

Now that we were in Florida, both of us thought it was smooth sailing.  Until we realized just how far away from our destination we were.  I though Texas was a big state to get out of, seems Florida is a big state to get into.  As the sun was setting behind us, and I was complaining about not being able to sit and watch it with him, my sweety captured a vision all of his own...


The sun set in the rear view mirror as we were traveling down Highway 75.  Pretty neat photo if you ask me. 
Needless to say, we arrived at our destination at about 4/5 in the morning.  I was well past tired, in fact I begged my sweety to just stop the truck and sleep for a couple of hours.   I though there was a break down coming on, or possibly a melt down.  When I counted it up, I had been awake for almost 23 hours... straight.  Yeah, a melt down was making it's way to the surface alright. 

Even without packing any of my personal items, or clothing in my travel duffel bag; my sweety made sure I had everything I needed, as he personally unpacked what I was lacking and brought it to me.  Isn't that the sweetest thing ever. takes my breath away every time I think about it.  In spite of the down pours.  The cooler that squeaked throughout the entire trip {we had to contain each other at times, to keep from tossing it out the window}.  My lack of sleep.  My sweeties lead foot.  The ungodly hour we arrived at our destination.  I would have to say it was an awesome adventure, that I would do again. 

Except, maybe a shorter distance next time...  

No comments:

Post a Comment