Monday, April 1, 2024

Welcome to the Light....

There were times in life, when people all over the world were screaming with excitement over family accomplishments. Your child graduates high school.. Parties pop up all over the place in excitement. Stores over stock with "Graduation" memorabilla, party favors are ordered and invitations are sent out. Families all over the world are spilling with excitement into the streets and calanders are maked with celerbration reminders. Same goes for engagement parties, birthday parties, anniversary celebrations, and even a few divorce celebrations. Then Social Media come along, and snail mail soon become a thing of the past. Instead of Christmas cards, birthday invites, engagement notices, divorce announcements, baby shower invitations, and save the date wedding reminders; we get a group Messenger invite/notifaction. Or a "Group Chat" text. And some times, we even get an link to some webpage announcement. Where did personalization go? Have we, as humans beings, become so busy that we can not even take the time to scream from the roof tops, make a brunch date, or even stop in the street; and share good news with one another? Times are so different now, and I had to adjust. I can remember going to fast food joints with my children and grandchildren, having dinner with family, or even engaging in family events and snapping cell phone photos of everyone having a good time. Sharing pictures of family events, happy occasions, and even some sad ones within my social media account, thus allowing any family who could not attend, a glimps of said event while they were away or unable to attend. It use to be the way family who were in another state, or miles away, stay connected with each other and still feel apart of what ever family fuction they missed. It use to be away for family to stay connected, period. Then came along the "Permission" aspect of Social Media. Someone somewhere didn't like the way a candid photo captured them. Someone else spat out "look at so and so", and yet another person stated "Did I really do that?" And the "permission before posting" was born. When did sharing Your excitment on something become, "only share your excitement with the permission of others"? Today I became a first time great grandmother. When I first learned of the pregnancy, it was "don't share with anyone" and "don't post on social media until the New Parents are ready to share". At some point, like months into the pregnancy, and when I missed the "Okay to Post" memo; I seen where the happy couple shared the news publicy on social media. But I did not have the personal "okay to share" so I held it in for a while, until I received the golden "Okay share" memo. Because I am 1300 miles away from the happy couple, and frankly do not have the same friends circle, I have waited to post anything about my excitememt. Frankly I am still waiting. The little boundle of joy was born... I am over the moon. I am also sad because, again I am 1300 miles away and will most likely not hold my new grand baby for quite a while. As a caregiver to an elderly parent; your life is pretty much not your own anymore. So as I sit here with the news of our newest addition, I have been asked not to share it on social media, on any social media platform that is; because it isn't "Our Place to Share the News". And while that may be the case technically, I am dying inside to scream from the roof tops. Lucky for me, none of my family knows about my Blog, or even reads it... Not anymore anyway. And I do not share about my blog on any social media platform. Yet, I sit here and question... Am I so old that I missed the Memo where, MY happy news became politically incorrect to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment