Saturday, September 24, 2011

Plants and The Lime Green Thumb ...


Some people have green thumbs naturally.  No matter what they plant in a pot or the ground; it grows.  Other peoples thumbs are lime green.  These people can buy a plant and keep it healthy; but have no skill with planting something and making it grow.


This is the case at my house.  My mother planted a Sweet Potato and it is growing like nothing I have ever seen.  She did the same thing as a young child, and produced a wonderful plant, that she wasn't able to take when her family moved.  She wanted to retry as an adult and, BAM, instant plant.

Now, there doesn't seem to be a thing that my sweety can't grow.  I think he could find a dead twig, and grow a tree.  Really.  This is the pineapple he planted about a month, or so, ago... And what a tasty pineapple it was!

The clipping from my grand mothers Bamboo Plant.  It is thriving like crazy.  Of course.

During one of the Operation Property Clean Up days, my sweety removed a plant from the top of his carport.  I did not think it was going to last through the week.  I give you ... The Wandering Jew.  

What I would have thought as a weed, proved me wrong when my sweety pulled out a black plastic temporary pot, added soil, water, and some TLC.  POW... A Yellow Moss Rose is born.  Look at that yellow bloom. Oh, did I mention that he pulled this Moss Rose up out of my mothers back yard?  Yep, that's right, it was the same height as the grass, and almost lost its battle with the lawn mower.

Here is a Pink Moss Rose that was saved by the master green thumb.  Again, growing wildly in my mothers yard, my sweety carefully and gently pulls up the small Moss Rose, pulls out a black pot, adds soil, water, and his TLC.  POOF.  What bright pink blooms it produces.  

There is nothing wrong with the Lime Green Thumb planter.  That would be me. I have been able to keep this plant {and her twin} alive for a few years now.  In fact, I brought them from Texas years ago.  Her clippings have warmed my mother neighbors living room, filled my daughters large flower pot {that sits on my mothers porch}, and is currently producing new growth in a few other pots that sit on both porches at my mothers place.  

~ The Twin ~

I am quite proud of my store bought plants.  They have done me proud.  Now if only I could figure out how my mother and my sweety do it.  Who knows, maybe my Lime Green Thumb will mature, and I will be able to keep a Rose Bush alive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment